The truth about the possible effects of Rapeseed on dogs


The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS), have brought to our attention some misinformation that has been seen on social media regarding Rapeseed. The posts suggest that Rapeseed is extremely toxic dogs, this is untrue. The majority of dogs exposed to Rapeseed have no symptoms at all. If a dog eats Rapeseed then they can sometimes develop gastrointestinal signs, vomiting and/or diarrhoea, which can be treated symptomatically. In extremely rare instances some dogs may develop a skin reaction when they come in contact with the plant.

If you have any concerns that you pet may have been exposed to any toxic plant, foodstuff or drug please do not hesitate to call the surgery for advice. The VPIS also offer 24hr advice to owners, for further information please go to the Animal Poison Line website.

site by Beeches Web Design