The warm, dry weather has once again led to the growth of Blue Green Algae at Bodenham lakes, signs have been erected to warn dog owners that the water is affected and dangerous to dogs. Blue Green Algae typically grows in still bodies of water such as ponds, lakes and reservoirs so it is important for owners to be vigilant when visiting these areas with their dog/s. Blue green algae is actually a bacteria which can produce harmful toxins, some species producing toxins which are more harmful than others. When ingested, either through drinking affected water or grooming after swimming in affected water, symptoms can develop within minutes to hours, some toxins being fatal.
Symptoms can range from vomiting and/or diarrhoea, seizures, collapse, changes in behaviour, breathing difficulties and fatal liver disease can develop. It is not possible to readily differentiate between the more or less toxic forms of the algae so any known or suspect exposure should be dealt with as a matter of urgency. If you know or suspect your dog may have been exposed to blue green algae please seek them veterinary attention immediately.